terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Lots of chipseal and broken up roads here. On my tubeless bike I run Conti 5000 TRs at 70/72 which gives a comfortable ride without sacrificing speed, which is usually around 18 MPH. On my tubed bikes, I also have Conti 5000 clinchers with light weight buytl tubes (will switch to latex one of these days) at 80/82, again at 18 MPH. Back in the bad old days, I had 23s run at 115 which lost me a few teeth fillings - but the tires felt fast-but it no doubt because of stronger legs. Will not go back to skinny/high pressure, since I enjoy being comfortable while riding at about the same speeds I did decades ago, but as another said, “you do you”.
Here's a little factoid that might ruffle some feathers among Fat Tire Club:

A skinny tire is more compliant than a fat tire at the same pressure. So if you're still one of the holdouts that hasn't joined Fat Tire Club, try reducing the pressure. The only down side I can think of is an increased risk of a pinch flat.

My current choice is GP5000 25 (measured width 27.5 mm), at 78/82 psi. Smooth and comfy, and I certainly could go lower.