View Single Post
Old 03-15-24, 12:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10528 Post(s)
Liked 12,104 Times in 6,195 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Here's a little factoid that might ruffle some feathers among Fat Tire Club:

A skinny tire is more compliant than a fat tire at the same pressure. So if you're still one of the holdouts that hasn't joined Fat Tire Club, try reducing the pressure. The only down side I can think of is an increased risk of a pinch flat.

My current choice is GP5000 25 (measured width 27.5 mm), at 78/82 psi. Smooth and comfy, and I certainly could go lower.
1) Is it, though? Less volume so an equivalent bump would be more compression, no? But also, largely irrelevant because....

2) I think most of us get the point, and have reduced pressures, but for the heavier riders, to get the same cush as flyweight on 25s at 78/82, we have to run 28s or 32s at even lower pressures.

Regarding the original, 3-month-old OP, I've seen several people say they like skinny tires at high pressures because they FEEL faster. This makes me think that these folks mistake feeling every tiny pebble on the road = fast, but I can tell you that my fastest bike also has the fattest tires and the plushest ride. I prefer to GO fast, rather than just FEEL fast.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: