View Single Post
Old 03-15-24, 01:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10601 Post(s)
Liked 12,207 Times in 6,256 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
A few weeks ago I deflated my tires by 40 PSI, to 100. The ride sucked. I'm back to 140. Even Rene Herse says, "There's nothing wrong with narrow tires, of course. If you prefer the 'connected-to-the-road' feel of a racing bike, then you'll be happier on narrow tires.[I am. --smd] If your friends tease you to 'get with the program,' remind them: narrow tires are not slower than wide tires - they just aren't faster, either."

The sentiment of the above quote usually gets twisted into the "wide tires are faster than narrower tires" BS.
I know you don't care, but this has been tested before:

Wider is not necessarily faster - here they find the sweet spot for them is 32mm - but there's a combination of width, tire make and model, and pressure that's optimal in terms of mph/watt for any given rider and road, and unless you're 145 lbs, riding on new asphalt, it's probably not 23mm at 140.

But ride what you want. Just accept that it's a preference, not empirically faster.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: