View Single Post
Old 03-15-24, 05:27 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,335 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by axelwik
I have friends who have a LOT of money. I travel just as much as them, but instead of staying in the fancy hotels and hiring people to do everything I do most of the research and planning myself, stay where the locals stay, do more of what I really want to do, and camp when it's appropriate.

When they come home and talk about their experiences it's all about fancy this and fancy that, western ammenities etc., but almost nothing about the culture, local customs (unless they're making fun of it), local street food, or everyday people.

If I wanted to stay in a fancy hotel, eat fancy food, and be insulated from the "unwashed masses" there's plenty of that just a few miles away from home without having to pay airfare.

When I talk about my trips - learning some of the language before leaving, being invited into people's homes, getting to know average people, hitching rides in trucks, buses etc., discovering really cool places on my own, etc. they just can't fathom it.

I've been to more than 50 countries and my way is better, and costs a fraction of what they pay. One does not have to be loaded to have rich travel experiences. Money can't buy everything and tends to insulate one from real experiences; putting a little bit of work into it results in a much "richer" experience.
What a bunch of assumptive crap. Who are you to place your values upon someone else and judge. I prefer a immersive style of travel myself and a lot of it is by bicycle. Self supported, you can’t get more immersed than that. One of my rules is I only fly business class or better what does that mean I am missing some experience degrading the trip?

By the way why would you consider these people your friends when you look down on them and speak so poorly about their values.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged: