View Single Post
Old 03-16-24, 08:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 1,484 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I'll also add, folders typically have fail-safes, secondary latches, to prevent coming undone while riding. I don't see one on the coupler above. I would have designed a spring-loaded collar or lever that engages the spanner wrench cutouts, or an additional part that can be added to lock things. Or at the very least, once put together, put bright nail polish on both sides of the interface (should stay close position each time), easily seen when riding, as a quick check.
I have only had a coupler come loose on my S&S bike once. Since then I have always carried a coupler wrench with me.

I noticed it because when I was taking my bike outside the front door on my condo, when I dropped the rear wheel on the ground, instead of that bouncing noise it also made a noise I was not used to hearing so I looked to see what was causing that, it was the looseness in the downtube coupler that caused the new additional noise.

I put sleeves from inner tube rubber over each end of the S&S "nut" to keep the dirt out of the threads. That also would make it harder for the threads to start unthreading by themselves from vibration. I previously had this photo in post 5, above, you can see the rubber sleeves.

I have never heard of anyone riding a bike and having the two halves come apart, but I suspect if the downtube coupler was loose enough, the bike would handle poorly as a warning.