View Single Post
Old 03-16-24, 02:51 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckybb
Yes this question is different. I'm investigating options for the 3 Dura-ace 7700 hubs I just acquired. I'd rather not cut axles bend frames.Thanks for your comments.
Thanks for the info on hub model. Here is the tech doc.

In it's stock state, the left to right tension imbalance should be about 55% (based on center of hub flange to center of hub flange, assuming 3mm flange thickness). Reducing it to 126mm by just reducing the left side would bring the left side tension to about 47%. Whether this is an issue will depend on: the intended use of the wheel, weight of rider/bike, rim strength, spoke count, etc.

As mentioned previously, doing the reduction on both the right and left will mitigate some of the reduction in the tension imbalance. Here is an older post that explains it. (Thank you Miamijim). The first few post are worth a read (and re-read until it makes sense)

10-speeds on a 126mm hub SUCCESS - Bike Forums

The amount that you can reduce the right side will depend on the cassette you intend to use. A 10 speed cassette with an offset inner sprocket (on a carrier) like a Shimano DA or Ultegra will be narrower and allow more reduction on the right side.

Here is Shimano's standard spec for 8/9/10 speed freehubs (40.75mm to the locknut/dropout). Depending on the cassette intended, a couple of mm reduction may be possible.