View Single Post
Old 03-18-24, 10:03 AM
ottobon100

Bikes: Gary Fisher "Mamba", Retrospec "Harpie" fixie, Trek 700 "Multitrack", Trek 3500

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Almost Finished with this old Multitrack

Counting the $30 I paid for the bike I'm in so far for just over $125 with more to come. New tires, tubes, and seatpost plus lots of hours in disassembly, assembly and cleaning. LOTS of cleaning! I think the previous owner just punched a hole in cans of motor oil and poured it over every component and most of the frame. Used rubbing alcohol on the frame, clayed it and ceramic coating applied. The chain seems to be okay after soaking in Liquid Wrench, cleaning and lubricating but it will be replaced in the immediate future. I just want to ride it some first. All brake and shifter cables are rusty so I'm going to get new cables and cable housing for those which is going to add up. I know I could have found a bike in much better shape for about what I'll finally have in it but this is something I enjoy doing now that I'm retired. Keeps me busy. Wow. Just saw a Trek 800 "Mountain Track" on FB Marketplace for $25. NOPE! This one is enough for now.

Last edited by ottobon100; 03-18-24 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Add info.
Likes For ottobon100: