mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Then there's the expedition people that go out into desolate places, those guys will carry a lot more weight, at around 80 to 120 pounds in gear...
For what it is worth, I have cycled across six continents. The Africa (Cairo to Capetown) trip was a supported ride, but I have crossed longer stretches including riding across Russia (Amsterdam to Vladivostok), one lap around outside of Australia, the length of the Americas (Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia). Yes, at times I carried a fair amount more than 60 pounds of gear and on average I carry more than many people I meet on the road. For me it has been more about having and bringing along tech toys or being extra prepared for mechanical issues than food/water which is more variable depending on where I go. As an example during a 6600 mile trip I rode last year through the lower 48 states, it was rare to have a gap of over 50 miles between services and often less than 30 carrying food/water was more of a choice I made than a necessity.

Even though I often carry more, I will still stand by my comment that 60 pounds is not "on the lighter side".