Thread: e-bike touring
View Single Post
Old 03-20-24, 02:05 PM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I was 100 percent self sufficient for all electric needs on my last bike tour, two weeks of riding, bike fitted with a dynohub and a Cycle2Charge USB charger to keep my batteries charged. But, I used muscle power for 100 percent of the propulsion, thus my electric needs were much reduced. Never needed to plug into an outlet for anything for two weeks. And I had a GPS turned on for every mile, the GPS was probably one third of my power consumption. Phone was turned off or in airplane mode when not in use. Usually had one battery powered blinker on in back. Camping, so needed artificial light in evenings and early mornings. The camera was used a lot, but I brought the charger for it, plus spare batteries.
I'm not being snarky in the least, but just geniunely curious, if you used your muscle power 100% to go up hills but you had an electric bike, why did you have the electric bike? And I can't tell from your bike list, but which was the electric assist one? Wouldn't a dynamo hub and carrying some battery chargers for the phone be lighter?

Hmmm... another thing I hadn't thought of - rain.