Old 03-23-24, 11:33 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I don't see the point unless your deaf. I can even hear EVs tires coming up from behind me ...
On many of the routes I take, the urban environment means that the specific sound of a car behind me can be fairly muddled-in with the rest of the noise. Particuarly anywhere near the nearby highways (which snake through and around many of the communities). I'm nowhere near deaf, but the sound's not always easy to pick out.

About the only way to enhance rearward awareness is to either have mirrors or radar or be regularly looking. In such situations, this sort of radar seems to fill a void that might otherwise leave a person fairly surprised and without options. (Have used mirrors. In my experience they work well enough, but they do take attention away from what's up ahead and they do require frequent checking. Whereas a radar would do the looking for the rider.)

I suspect that many people in similar urban areas have to contend with higher noise levels that'll drown out much of an approaching vehicle's noise.