View Single Post
Old 03-23-24, 04:50 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 369 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
The odds of needing it are remote enough that I am unlikely to carry it, but something lke the tekna is what I'd carry if I were to carry one for that purpose. I just might consider it if I rode every day somewhere with lots of cougars especially if there were recent issues with them. That said, I have ridden a good bit in the Sierras and Cascades and never bothered or even considered it.
https://www.tek-tite.com/proddetail....dge_Dive_Knife
Nice looking knife. A website specializing in knife steels (run by a metallurgist), he came up with a new powder-metallurgy steel (very expensive process) that is hard, tough, and (based on tests) he rates 9/10 for corrosion, "almost as good as a dive knife".

The knife I have is half serrated, and I can understand the utility of that as a kayak rescue knife, possibly needing to saw through plastic or fiberglass, but for all other knives I prefer a plain edge; serrated is such a pain to sharpen, especially this one where the teeth are not points separated by radius valleys, not bad to sharpen with a ceramic rod, but instead the teeth are convexes of different radii, extremely difficult to sharpen. It's also single-bevel, with the right side flat and the left side beveled, which I define as a left-hand bevel, because for a righty like me, slicing off a piece of salami, the knife drifts to the right unless aimed a bit toward the salami, if that makes sense.

Couger attacks are generally not statistically common, however, upon relating the stories of the biker to someone in that general area, they said that was the second recent attack. So lemme tell ya, if I ever bike in a forested area outside the city, I'm gonna have a quickly accessible knife with me. Sadly, the city has been more dangerous in recent years, and overall this is one of the safer cities in the country, but in the past couple years, assaults and threats have increased where there's concentrated enclaves of drug users, and the rare shooting and death. I have not yet resorted to carrying any sort of defense, just avoiding being out at night. The more frequent occurance is someone disheveled walking alongside or wheeling alongside while biking a cheap BMX, a very nice bike, them in sneakers and the nice road race bike with SPDs, obvious theft. I took phone photos, let the cops know, never heard anything back.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly, Pogo