View Single Post
Old 03-24-24, 01:27 PM
Mother_of_birds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
No rambling. That all makes perfect sense. Seems like what you might want is a hybrid bike. I'm not that experienced with all the terminology, but I think these are basically rigid mountains bikes (no suspension, front or back). So, you get wide tires without the bulk of the suspension and a wide range of gearing. These are not exotic and I think pretty common. Fairly common as a sort of "dad" bike for general riding with the family. But I understand, that just having two bikes is it's own issue for you.

There are quite a few storage options for bikes. So, you might want to look for those and see what might allow you to have two bikes. I use vertical storage where the bikes hang from their front wheel. The net effect, is a 2-3 bikes don't take up much more floor space than a single bike would leaning against a wall. This is if the system allows the bikes to be angled towards the wall. Of course, you obviously use up wall space. There are various versions of this from simply hooks to systems with a tray that holds the front wheel.
I think I'll just have to keep trawling the used bike pages and hopefully see something I like the look of and keep watching youtube etc.

Yes I did see some wall storage ones that look quite space efficient. I think if I did get a second bike then I could partially dismantled my road bike and keep it under the bed or something out the way. I'd only really be keeping it for 'just in case' I get back on the trainer, or gain enough confidence to try it on the road again, and because I'm so attached to it because of the time I've put into it. So if I did that then I'd only really need to have somewhere to put the second bike that I'd be riding.