View Single Post
Old 03-24-24, 02:27 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 367 Posts
Depends on the bike for me. On my road bikes and gravel bike, I'm all about my 2x11s. I'm running compacts with 11-34 cassettes on most of my road bikes and the gravel bike has a 48/31 with cassettes ranging from 11-28 to 11-40, depending on the event I'm doing. I live in the mountains, we have some big climbs, and the 1:1 low ratio is fine on my road bikes...although I am a XC/gravel racer, so I come at it from that perspective and with that sort of fitness.

On my mountain bikes, I am so glad we are in the age of the 1x12...I hated the old bikes with the triples. I started out racing XC on a triple, just as 1x was starting to catch on. I know how to shift and adjust a derailleur, but I had a few instances where a downshift and some harsh bumps would lead to inopportune chain suck. Not to mention that I was constantly busy with shifting.

My next XC bike was a 1x11 and now I've replaced that one with a bike w/ 1x12 with wireless shifting. If there are any gaps in gears, I don't notice them riding off-road. My tallest gear is a 40x10 and does just fine on a wide-open descent. The 50t cog is good enough for a walking pace on climbs. For racing scenarios and even spirited trail riding, the wireless is a nice feature. More specifically, the ability to shift 3 gears with one push of the shifter...makes it handy for when you're descending, but suddenly come across a turn or steep rise.

My longer travel "Enduro" bike has a 1x12 as well, but with a front ring geared for climbing on a 35lb bike with inefficient downhill tires. You can spin it out on a paved downhill, but pavement is not the mission of that bike.
Likes For Sierra_rider: