Old 03-25-24, 10:27 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 36 Posts
There are so many energy drinks out there now in those convenience stores, for instance. Do most of you stick with Gatoraid, if so, which version?
As I have previously posted, anyone can have a really great ride for a really great distance using any old "really great food." (french fries?)

Before moving up the food chain to strictly performance-based fueling - the thoughtful cyclist will consider his/her goals for the event. After all - what we are discussing here is NOT nutrition.
I believe the original post (er) wants to learn about how to assure the successful completion of a very long endurance event without having any gastrointestinal distress nor muscle fatigue or cramping.

The issue isn't what "everyone sticks with" - the issue is how well do you ride without making yourself sick. And again, this has more to do with your exercise tolerance and environmental factors.

My science isn't up to date - but I believe maltodextrin is the preferred sugar for most nostrums that support high intensity exercise. Typically these formulas contain electrolytes as well.
It is your exercise load, things like how fast you ride, the hills, winds, or very hot humid weather that contribute to the viability of your fuel choices. So again, if you want to choose your fuels wisely - then you have to know your cycling environment. You have to know what YOU can tolerate in the heat, on the hill - or at the pace and intensity you have chosen to ride. (stick with it -you'll get there?)