View Single Post
Old 03-27-24, 04:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4432 Post(s)
Liked 4,078 Times in 2,718 Posts
The best way to help prevent a flat is make sure you have a good tire that is properly installed, properly inflated and generally you will be fine. Once you know how to replace a tube it will help greatly and if you then carry the necessary equipment to change the flat (tire levers, new tube, inflation) you will be good. I also recommend having a spare tube as well. There are more than enough people who have replace a tube and have no backup and are like well I can just "blah blah blah" and I say well what if "blah blah blah" doesn't exist or isn't available or you are too far out or something else what do you do. I find having a couple tubes is handy. I generally take on on the ride and the second one at home or if it is a longer ride I might bring both.

You can get other flats from nails and glass and other detritus and that cannot always be prevented but if you are spatially aware and try and avoid that stuff when you can it will help.

What I might recommend is in the comfort of your own home in a nice comfortable chair or couch or area practice taking out the tube and putting one back in and reinflating as you would need to on the road maybe if your pump is gauge less put your floor pump on it as you finish and think it is good to see where you are at and if you need to add more add more and feel and redo it a few times. Help get the muscle memory so when you go to do it on the road in rain or cold or whatever you are better prepared. Once you take off the front and rear wheels a couple times and do a few mock flats you will be better off and if you need to maybe take a piece of paper write down the steps and carry it in your seatbag or SWAT or frame bag or whatever you might be carrying tube and tools in.