Midlifecyclist
Midlifecyclist

Bikes: Far, far too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
If you are going to discuss "the fact of the matter", you may want to use facts.

Density is not the relevant metric, even if you resort to all capital letters. Especially not if you are subsequently going to attempt to compare with gross fatalities.

You are also wildly-incorrect when you claim that 74 cyclists were killed in 2018, or any recent year, in Los Angeles County.

It might be... if it weren't completely incorrect. The entire population of Copenhagen is only 660,842. Not even 550k Copenhageners have jobs, so you clearly imagined that number. The actual number of Copenhagen commuters is about 400,000 -- including students, who ride a couple blocks, on average.

Furthermore, measuring cycling only by commuters is wildly inaccurate. Not everyone who bikes rides to work. In actual fact, only 15% of trips in Denmark are taken via cycle. And, as previously noted, those bicycle trips are extremely short -- averaging only just over a handful of blocks. Which means that one Los Angeles cyclist riding 20 miles accounts for the same person-miles as 24 average Danish cyclists.

Not by much, if at all -- per the real statistics, that you didn't just invent.

Infrastructure doesn't work in Denmark, which is no surprise, because it has not worked anywhere it has been tried. Every municipality that has tried to build safety, has watched it fail, at significant cost of time, money, and lives, and then subsequently pivoted to enforcing traffic laws, and discouraging motor vehicle use. And the point is, if you can accomplish those two projects, you don't need to first waste time, money, and lives pouring useless concrete and paint.
I guess you can choose whatever numbers suit your agenda as I would assume you think I have done. Greater Copenhagen (Størkøbenhavn) is over 1.9 million people. I know that because I live here and pay attention to the numbers.

In addition to try to complete my 10 post probation, I thought it might be interesting to discuss infrastructure, risk, and perhaps any interesting stories or perspectives from anyone wanting to contribute.

I certainly don’t feel triggered by opposing opinions. And when it comes down to choosing stats to quote, there’s probably just as many metrics as there are cyclists.

Cycling works in this city for many reasons, and you can claim all day long that it’s just as effective in wherever your frame of reference is. I’m glad that you feel safe, I hope you continue to do so.

I would invite you to come and take a spin on Copenhagen streets and come to your own conclusion as I have.

Last edited by Midlifecyclist; 03-28-24 at 03:29 PM.