View Single Post
Old 03-28-24, 04:03 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Midlifecyclist
I guess you can choose whatever numbers suit your agenda as I would assume you think I have done.
My "agenda" -- as you call it -- is that people should not make claims that are unsupportable by any statistical evidence, as OP did. In particular, many cyclists have a fixation on telling anyone who will listen how dangerous cycling is. This is both wrong, and counterproductive -- unless their objective is to get more people injured and killed on bicycles.

Greater Copenhagen (Størkøbenhavn) is over 1.9 million people. I know that because I live here and pay attention to the numbers.
That's nice. And greater Los Angeles has 19M people. Neither are useful bits of information without cycling statistics compiled for that municipal area, which is why we were using Los Angeles County, Copenhagen, and Denmark in this discussion.

If you "pay attention to the numbers", why did you lie about several of the relevant statistics?

Cycling works in this city for many reasons, and you can claim all day long that it’s just as effective in wherever your frame of reference is. I’m glad that you feel safe, I hope you continue to do so.
I would invite you to come and take a spin on Copenhagen streets and come to your own conclusion as I have.
I am not from Los Angeles or Copenhagen, and it wouldn't matter if I was. Feeling safe is wildly different from being safe. Feeling safe is almost completely irrelevant.

Denmark -- with a population of 6M people and about 4.2M cyclists -- sees about 30 of the latter killed annually. The United States -- with about 120M cyclists -- sees about 850 killed annually. Those are almost exactly the same rate per cyclist.

Pretending that one of those rates is wildly lower than the other is not an effective strategy -- and neither is trying to build safety.

Last edited by TC1; 03-28-24 at 04:06 PM.