Old 03-29-24, 05:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...instead-of-air
Did a quick google search and I found this, a guy in this thread claims his water filled tires had a slow leak hold for far longer than air filled tires. I believe it, it’s much easier to get something water tight than air-tight.

I get the tendency to dismiss an idea like filling tubes with water as absurd without sitting down and thinking through what would happen, let alone testing it. I’ll put this test on my “to-do” list because it actually sounds interesting and might have some benefits, namely puncture resistance.

sometimes one is struck with an outlandish novel idea, and even if most of them don’t work they are worth exploring.

also OP she can probably just use someone else’s cell phone, you’re doing her a favor in the long run by not getting her a phone. People used to get along just fine without phones
water is not compressible in any measurable way. That would mean that there would be no pressure in the tires.... they would not support anything and would have no resistance to pinch flats for starters

and as to weight water is one gram per cubic centimeter or 1000 grams (2.2 lbs) per liter Air is .001225 grams per CC or 1.225 grams per liter.... compressed to 70 psi/5 bar that is ~6 grams

a 700x25 tube is about one liter so if you filled both tires with water you would get 1 kilogram/2.2 lbs of weight per wheel vs about 6 grams of weight per wheel

and remember that water is not compressable, which means if you fill a tube with water and hit a bump the tire will blow off as the tube can't contain the the pressure

this is not absurd it simply ignores physics basics and should not even be considered as an option

Likes For squirtdad: