Old 03-30-24, 07:35 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 534 Times in 366 Posts
I'm assuming you have a 50-34 crankset. If it's 52-39, that's going to make your climbing even harder.

The 13-29 is really what you need. Spinning a faster cadence instead of grinding a low cadence is usually the easiest climbing for riders that struggle with hills. I liked it a lot.

The 13-29 worked great on my old Veloce 10 speed bike. It's outside the official range for the short cage derailleur, but was fine. Back then, there were lots of reports on BF of the 13-29 working, and no reports of jamming or other problems.

It looks like you'll need the Miche 13-29, since the campagnolo 13-29 10 speeds are out of stock everywhere.

The 34-29 low gear is 16% easier than your 34-25 low. That's like two rear shifts easier.

~~
Like other posts mentioned, it might need a new chain.
But test first:

Put on the 13-29.
Put the bike on a bike stand, or have someone lift the saddle to get the rear wheel off the ground.

Shift to a middle cog in the back, then shift to the big chairing in the front.
Now turn the crank by hand, shifting to the biggest cog. Does it shift onto that big gear easily? Is there at least a small gap between the top pulley and the big cog?
Is the derailleur arm still having at least a small jog in the chain direction? You don't want the chain completely stretched straight in this big chainring-biggest cog cross chained gear.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-30-24 at 07:45 PM.