Old 03-30-24, 09:03 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked 1,210 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
I have thought about new but I hate that 60-70% depreciation hit. I do like trying different types of bikes. That's fun for me
I like perusing the ads while I'm doing something else. Watching tv, waiting for a bus, etc. That's fun for me too. Not losing money on a bike is fun as well. Really the buying and selling the different bikes is kind of like the members on here who have a collection of bikes. Only I don't have to store them and maintain 15 different bikes. It probably wouldn't hurt to go to a store and just see what's available. Of those models mentioned, do you know which particular models would fit the bill. For example I wouldn't want a trek FX1 I bought one but it was a boat anchor even compared to the FX3. So for instance, which Specialized Sirrus?
Fair enough. Can't help at all with the used bike thing -- not my thing. I tend to buy once -- new -- when necessary, once I know what I want, and toward the top the line, whatever it is. Current bike, a full carbon 2019 Sirrus X, was simply a replacement for my 2010 Sirrus that was stolen from my garden shed. I don't think about depreciation with bikes, because when I buy one I have no intention of selling it.

As far as Sirrus goes, if it were me I wouldn't be looking below the "4.0" level: that represents a solid mix of decent frame/components at a decent price. Keep in mind there are now two 'lines': the non-X ones with a 2x drivetrain, and the X ones with 1x (what I have). Have a glance at the Spec. website, and you'll quickly pick up on all this.

Whatever you end up with (or not), good luck with it all!