View Single Post
Old 03-30-24, 10:55 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Now, if you are asking about the FnHon models for 406/451 wheels, of which there are five, the Monsoon, Blast, Tornado, Gust 20" and Storm, I'd have to pick the Storm. But that's because I am partial to steel in these bi-fold frames, the material of the Storm and Gust 20". The great thing about the Storm is that it can be built as as two-wheelset rig with a fat-tire 406 wheelsets that can be swapped out as the need and whim arises to a skinny 451 wheelsets. It's got clearance front and back for both.

The Gust 20" lags the Storm because tire clearance at the fork is limited to around 50-406 while the Storm can take up to 60mm meat upfront.

Gust 20"

In any case, the FnHon framesets are all great value as they, save for the Tornado, can be had for around $150.
Say... that Storm frame looks *very* similar to my 4130 steel Dahon Speed frame, elegantly minimal welds, good in fatigue strength, and in photos online (and yours I now see) it appears to be available with discs. If I tour with long downgrades, I want discs. That might be a good option for me, just switch frames with mine. However, between frame (even at that great price), new wheels for discs, discs, calipers, and levers, I'd be into the same cost as an Origami Bull (aluminum frame) with all of the above and everything else new parts as well, complete. But I'd prefer a 4130 frame.

Do you prefer steel on a bifold for stronger at the hinge when open and more vulnerable?

Last edited by Duragrouch; 03-30-24 at 11:00 PM.