Old 03-31-24, 03:08 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by tNuvolari
Wow, lots of responses but I have some info to clarify and update about my particular idiosyncrasies:

1). These hills I'm struggling on are not steep! To most of you, you would probably laugh at me! But I'm 57, diabetic, and skinny without much muscle. And now at my age, I just don't have the added strength in my legs that I had when I was younger. So while I've been able to make it up every hill I've attempted so far, sometimes it hasn't been fun. And these are short hills, meaning feet and not miles. I tried to find the grades from Strava but all I could find was 6.5% as the highest and that was 1/3 of a mile. Not sure if that's the steepest as I could only find the grade for segments and not my whole route (free Strava account.) Not sure if that's steep to you guys but it's tough for me. First time I had to stop midway but the last time I made it in one pull and it's also after a less steep climb that is challenging to me. But I made it to my halfway mark (about 12 miles) without a rest so I was happy about that. Overall average was 13mph. I consider this ride a definite improvement both in body and mind as I was feeling good after the ride. I like to ride fast and I'm pretty decent on flat to almost flat roads. But hills are tough, surprisingly so as even when a hill doesn't look like much, I can definitely feel it.

2). When I said I had no patience for a 34/34 gear combo, I meant in my location, that would be complete overkill. I realize some of you are in mountainous terrain but I am not trying to say that our hills are anything like being in the mountains. So forgive me for what may have sounded arrogant; no disrespect or offense intended. I'm sure if I were in CO I would need even more relaxed gearing than that! And my knees are fine (knock on wood) and even when climbing, I don't feel any stress in my knees as my legs give out much sooner, ha ha!

3). Thanks for all the gear calc and options on Miche, etc. Miche does have some nice choices and at good prices. Do they work ok with Campy index shifting? I have researched the gear charts and while very helpful, they don't give a subjective account of what the difference feels like when actually riding. Of course, subjective is.... well, subjective so I realize nothing will substitute for actually buying and trying something new. This thread is just to get some info on what people with much more experience than I have can impart.

4). 20% grade? That's insane if I struggle with 6.5%! What's the steepest you guys ride? And what feels like a "hill" to you? I have no relative experience as I have only ridden alone and on mostly flat areas. What gear would you use for a 6.5% short grade?? Very curious to see how far out I am comparatively.

5). I'll keep riding, improving my strength, of course, and if that's not enough, I'll try a 12-27 or 13-26, whichever I can find for cheapest. Then if that's not enough, as someone said, there are still plenty of options. Failing that, there's always a Ducati, although since I don't have the money for a Campy 12 speed right now, a Ducati would be tough, but gotta keep dreaming!

Thanks to everyone for all the responses so far!
Adding one more tooth to the cassette wont make much difference.

A 7% incline is steep and require a good amount of power or low gears to keep cadence up to a reasonable level.

Assuming you are 155 lbs, ride a 20 lbs bike on a 7% incline, you will do 5.4 mph if you put in 150w (that may be a lot to a guy like you)

Assuming your small ring is a 34 you need a 30t in the back to do ~5.4 mph at only 60 rpm.
Assuming your small ring is a 39 you need a 34t in the back to do ~5.4 mph at only 60 rpm.

If you want to spin faster you need more power or even lower gears.

Bike Calculator
https://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=...N=KMH&DV=teeth
Likes For Racing Dan: