View Single Post
Old 03-31-24, 08:11 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,336 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
But did it shift well? I didn't watch the video to find out. I figured it had been tried but never successfully. The second part of my post though is coming, universal electronic shifting. It will be cheaper than mechanical mostly because you do away with the shifter and replace it with cheap buttons and software control. Sram is on the right track, except they are still expensive.
The cog set/der shifting went as well as the then current der systems did because, no surprise, they were of current shifting components (chain, cogs, der, levers).

The IGH shifting was pretty much the same as other IGH hubs of the time. Relax/coast for a moment while shifting the IGH and resume pedal pressure. I don't remember and gear ratio limits for the IGH, I think that was more a concern for off road or tandems then the types of bikes that usually had these Sachs 2x and 3x IGH cassette hubs, folders and other more transportation type bikes (the exception being where I first saw these hubs, on Bike Fridays which are more about travel than transportation IMO. IIRC Bike Friday ran on the hubs ability to offer an "overdrive" w/o a ft der. Remember these bikes ram nominally 20" tires, not big 700c) Andy (likely one of the few here who has overhauled a Sachs IGH cassette hub, but don't ask for specifics as it was way long ago...)