View Single Post
Old 04-03-24, 04:32 PM
Sentinel1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Some folks just enjoy the experience of riding a lightweight machine.

Also, top-level pro bikes aren't all bumping against the UCI weight limit. Testing is proving that aero is more important than light weight. Obviously, there's a tipping point where weight starts to become a hinderance, but within the framework high-end road bikes, being lightest isn't always fastest.
I'm not saying a light bike isn't good. But there's a point where it can go too far. My lightest bike is a Tern verge X10. Weighs 21lbs with pedals on. And it's plenty light enough for me. Especially with supreme components like Kinetix pro X wheels and American classic hubs which are second to none. Wheels spin forever.

But I will give you an example where I think its taken too far. There's a channel on YouTube called BFT (Brompton family time) Now I love the channel. But this guy pays $5000 for a Tline Brompton. Expensive enough. And it weighs like 17.5lbs. Which is plenty light. Well he spent another $4,500 enough to nearly buy another one. Just to knock the weight down to 15.5lbs. That to me was an insane waste of money. The bike was already ultra light. Especially by Brompton standards.