spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by PGHNeil
"...how people born before 1975 are now considered to be "seniors."
Yikes! Gens X, Y & Z at it again with re-defining of otherwise well-understood words.

I'm anticipating my 75th birthday day after tomorrow. Working part-time three days a week, I regularly clock 8-1/2 hours plus, in addition to well beyond the 10,000 steps I have set as my goal. It'll be 10 years the end of Sept. I've been at this job.

Day before yesterday I awoke feeling really weird, brought to mind the heart attack I suffered some 18 years ago as of last Thursday. Two stents in one coronary artery fixed that, been on BP & statin ever since. Seems under control.

So I drove myself ( ~ 6 blocks) to local ER, feeling very dizzy all the while. Didn't stop for breakfast or coffee either. Turns out diagnosis was vertigo. Vastly worse than any dizziness I'd ever felt before, got a hint of what was in store when I felt a bit of it last Saturday & days in between.

Seems inner ear can see crystals of calcium carbonate break away or otherwise end up in the wrong place, leads to this malady. I have to assume a lifetime of accumulated limestone (CaCO3, really!) in those tubes can wreak havoc when something makes 'em come unglued. No real cure other than something called Epley Maneuver. Referred to in printed notes I was handed to take home but without explanation or how-to-perform safely by ER doc, which seems odd considering potential for harm if done wrong.

Somehow I blanch at age 50 being the Senior Divide though, that's a lot earlier than the age at which one can collect Social Security.

Still, I'm too well aware most folks I deal with on a regular basis are younger than me. Guess I shouldn't blanch at being referred to as a Senior (at my chronological age) so maybe I can attribute that short-term memory supposed to be a symptom to my inability to recall anyone ever calling me a Senior to my face since... forever?

Local LBS staffers think I'm the only bike rider on tubulars in the County, my road bike's a Senior then too, dating as it does to about this time in 1972.