View Single Post
Old 03-20-06, 04:52 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by babysaph
Is it absolutely necessary that I get a rigid fork to tour with? I am using a mtn bike frame and didn't want to change the fork. Also I was told I could not get fenders for my Giant Mtn bike because I have the new style brakes on it. Is that true. I would like to have some fenders.
What Peterpan1 said is correct. You don't have to go with a rigid fork but there are advantages. It is easier to mount a front rack on a rigid fork- and you want a front rack! It makes handling better. You can get a Surly 1x1 for around $60 just about anywhere (look here ) or, if you don't have threadless you can get a Tange threaded fork here (for the threaded one you will need to know the length of your current steer tube). If you bike doesn't have threadless now, I'd consider changing it since adjustment of a threadless headset is much easier especially when you are out on the road.

Changing a fork really isn't that hard either. Park tools is a good place to look for a procedure.

As for fenders, I assume you have V-brakes. This makes installing fenders harder but not impossible. Open the brakes when you are installing the fenders and get the fenders where you what them. The try closing the brakes, If they won't close, use a little sculpture to get them to fit properly. A sharp boxcutter or razor saw (hobby shop) works well. A Dremel works wonders if you have one.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!