View Single Post
Old 04-05-24, 11:51 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10516 Post(s)
Liked 12,073 Times in 6,183 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I was actually a geology major before switching to chemistry. Don't ask me for more details b/c I don't remember much. I think I recall the oldest crust being in the Canadian shield leading into Hudson bay. The east coast of the US is also on the North American tectonic plate, and there isn't much volcanic activity there, so yeah it's also quite old. Maybe that's why it's so boring out there compared to the Best Coast? IDK.

Fun Fact - coastal southern and central CA is actually on the Pacific Plate. The dividing fault is called the San Andreas and is very, very active. It's where we get our earthquake reputation from. But TBH, the earthquakes are way less problematic than fire - an omnipresent threat out here.
Fun fact: On my usual weekday ride, I cross the San Andreas Fault 4 times. My Sunday ride crosses it at least 6 times.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: