Old 04-06-24, 08:28 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6250 Post(s)
Liked 4,273 Times in 2,393 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
What about the shape of their heads? You probably don't have time to examine them but venomous snakes have "pits" behind the jaw.
The “pits” in pit vipers are in front of the jaw. They are located on the head between the eyes and the nostrils and are slightly smaller than the eyes. They are heat sensing organs.

The shape of the head is the give away. Pit vipers tend to have heart shaped heads which are wider at the back of the head where it attaches to the neck. Constrictors which are often confused for rattle snakes have a longer, narrower head. Here in Colorado we have three kinds of rattlesnakes…the prairie rattlesnake, the Western rattlesnake and the massasauga rattlesnake. They all have similar patterns on their skin.

You can see the different head shapes in these two snakes. This one is a prairie rattler. Not the very wide jaw

This is a bull snake. Similar skin pattern but the head is longer and less wide at the back. Bull snakes here also have a wonderful mimic ability. They will coil just like a rattlesnake…you can see the similar position of both snakes. They also shake the end of their tail and make a hissing sound that is unnervingly like the rattle of a rattle snake. It’s a very effective defense mechanism. They will also strike like a rattlesnake…personal experience…and their teeth are abrasive but they haven’t got fangs.

The rattlesnake is the one that I spooked in my post above. I left him alone. The bull snake below was on a bicycle path in Denver. I shooed it off the path so that it would get run over. He hissed and shook his tail at me the whole time. Still unnerving.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: