View Single Post
Old 04-06-24, 10:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7696 Post(s)
Liked 3,607 Times in 1,900 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Well , I am not into 11-12 speeds shimano groupsets because of cable eating shifter issues and problematic bonded cranksets,
The cables don't break any more quickly ... thought they do need to be changed before they break all the way through. The bonded cranksets were a few hundred out of tens of thousands. And ... you can get a new one free of charge.
I don't do disk brakes since they were irrelevant until 2015/2016 and none cared about them before. Dual pivot rim brakes offer very good stopping power on a road bike that if you chose dura ace or ultegra and not the skeletonized campy record or chorus rim brakes which is single pivot at the rear and dual pivot at the front.
Well, maybe you don't need discs ... the really fast descenders are using discs because the greater braking control lets them hit speeds which could nto --safely-- be achieved on rim brakes. personally, I only use discs on my rain/work bike and MTB, but I am not opposed to discs.
Electronic shifting,I haven't see any road bike riders nearby me using di2 or sram etap . Imagine the battery is dead and you are stuck in the not correct gear, it is just not worth it. For frames, it is a personal matter of preference.
Yeah, and break a shift cable and you are in the same boat. Of course, if you run lights and ride at night .... some of us are able to keep things charged and even have backups. [QUOTE=georges1;23207363] I will always prefer a high end steel or a high end aluminium frame which is hand made rather than a mass produced carbon frame which for me is barely comfortable ( I have riden on some carbon bikes and no it is not as comfy as steel or aluminium). [QUOTE=georges1;23207363] yeah, Bullstuff. I have to say, as a crossing point between cost, durability, and comfort, an AL frame with a CF fork and seat tube is about as good as it gets. But ... I have steel, aluminum, and CF bikes and if you cannot get cvomfortable on CF it is because you do not want to .
The Dura Ace 7800 is my favorite groupset regarding road bikes, it was superbly designed, proven, sturdy and reliable. Price of spare parts for the Dura Ace 7800 are on the rise lately.
Yeah ... never used 7800, but 6800 and 5800 are strong favorites of mine. I would certainly move on to DI2 in 105 or Ultegra though.

However, I have an open mind ... which gives me a range of options you don't allow yourself.