View Single Post
Old 04-07-24, 08:09 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7161 Post(s)
Liked 11,360 Times in 4,856 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...for the moment, let's pretend you are actually open to discussion on this topic, and not simply trying to get into another long semantic argument...semantic argument seems to be your comfort zone.
Semantics refers to the meanings of words, including collections of words (sentences, paragraphs, cause-effect claims, etc.). Here on the internet, communicating asynchronously and without the benefit of expression, gesture, and tone-of-voice, words are all we've got.

In my experience, people often make your complaint when they've been called out for making nonsensical or contradictory claims.

A full race bike frame is designed with people in mind, who push them along at regular speeds of 25-28mph. Thus the "stiffer" frame, more aggressive geometry, and the aero profiling features on frame and wheels. There are several elements that come into play, when I say you're not going to take "full advantage" of such a bicycle. One is that you're not strong enough for the stiffer frame to matter much for your power input. they are laterally stiff, and vertically not nearly compliant enough for mere humans going any distance.

More important is that you're going along at slower speeds than the cat 1 racer crowd. So taking "full advantage" of the aero profiles is dubious, at best.
Like many of the C&V refugees who wander over here, you apparently don't understand how aerodynamics work -- specifically, how drag impacts riders at different speeds. And, as usual, you are personalizing the argument -- which is weird, especially since I don't own (and have never owned) a "top end race bike." And given your statements above, I think you'd be pretty surprised by the bikes that I do ride. But it'll suffice to merely state that you are waaay off-base.

I've always found it weird that the C&V fans (some of them, anyway) seem to feel threatened when people point out that newer bikes are better in some ways. I mean, look at how this thread devolved into a huge argument over that very question!

...so why go into this digression ? You and I both know it's in hope of finding something else you can tease out of my reply to use as another avenue of attack. Why not just find another outlet ?
You're the one who keeps dragging the argument in this direction.
Likes For Koyote: