View Single Post
Old 04-07-24, 09:59 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,780 Times in 902 Posts
Sunday was a bit more of the same in terms of weather, a boreal breeze that moved mid-40s air around whether you wanted any part of it or not. Still, a bright day, and much of the previously-fallen rain was making its way through whichever watershed it found itself in. I had a little time for a short ride Sunday afternoon, and took the Surly Trucker DeLuxe (a.k.a., Monster Trucker, when sporting 559-55 Compass Rat Trap Pass Extralights). I had taken delivery of this bike on Saturday, after having its MKS Lambda EZ Superior pedals swapped for a new set of MKS Gamma EZ Superior. "EZ Superior" denotes an MKS travel bike affordance for breakaway pedals (only when you want them to), one of the several bits of travel bike trickery built into the Trucker DeLuxe (S&S Couplers, cable splitters, etc.) The joke here, of course, is that I'd never broken the bike down and put it in a suitcase; a story goes with that, but it's worth mentioning in passing that it's not desirable to have EZ Superior pedals fall off the crank arms while you pedal (I did that once, then reread the manual). Another joke arises from the fact that the drop from saddle to handlebar is the longest on this bike compared to any bike in my stable. The story that goes with that is that I told Tyler Oulton, as a general principle of the build, "when in doubt, build it for me the way you'd build it for yourself." I forget about that between rides on this bike and the difference between my Rivendelian practice of running handlebars at saddle height and the power-oriented cockpit geometry of this bike catches me by surprise. Here's a photo of the Trucker DeLuxe during Visiting Hours at Mal's yard, commiserating with a somewhat busted up Tesla and an even more busted Honda.

No parts fell off, so I declared victory and rode home.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 04-08-24 at 08:02 AM.
Likes For rholland1951: