View Single Post
Old 04-10-24, 03:30 PM
bluesteak 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
The FM and FC hubs are in a family apart from the AW or even the FW hub. They are mechanically different. The drive side cone is set first, finger tight and loosen 1/2 to 3/4 turn. It should not be loosened more than 3/4 turn. Non-drive bearing adjustment is for the slightest play at the rim. It is less tolerant of play than the AW or even the FW. Was there any visible wear on any of the parts when you dismantled the hub?
This morning before I read this post I reinstalled the internals and set the hub up without as much slop. I took the bike for a spin and it is definitely quieter. Although there is still extra noise in normal gear.

I took the internals out as a unit, and didn’t make any attempt at further disassembly since I figured it still worked and I wasn’t likely to find replacement parts. It’s 70 years old and likely there is some wear. When I first got the hub before it was built into a wheel, I did resurface the cones with a wet stone.

I did learn a few things. I could see the the secondary planet holder turns the main sun gear when you select the lowest gear. I haven’t been able to figure out the gear reduction that that creates.

I had an ahah moment when I saw the large diameter spring between the secondary and primary gear trains. “ So, that’s what those springs are for that I sent Mike in the trade.”