View Single Post
Old 04-11-24, 12:42 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
36 miles and 2,300’, 16 MPH average. Tried a new strategy today in the name of doing quasi-intervals: Take it real easy on the flats and downhills and attack the hills. Managed one KOM for my age group and 3 second places.

There is a 1.5 mile downhill that I had a good shot at getting the KOM or KOD (King of Descent) but there was a white Land Rover which kept braking to say at the speed limit. Was tempted to overtake him a couple of times on a long straight but wasn’t sure if he would turn into a driveway in front of me. The holder of the KOM is a tandem - which doesn’t count since those things are so damned fast. I had one and could go stupid fast on downhills - 62.5 was my max.
Congrats on some new Strava bragging rights. I hear you on getting stuck behind cars...not uncommon to get stuck behind a car on some of the twistier local descents. Back in my dumber days, I used to pass on some of these downhills, but I generally just bide my time now. They generally speed up on the straights and then slow down for the corners, so my move used to be be to dive for the inside of a turn(as long as I could see around the corner.) Looking back, I would've been run over if I happened to slide out.