View Single Post
Old 04-11-24, 05:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4592 Post(s)
Liked 5,133 Times in 3,171 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
This is the reason I have really low gears. It's a PITA that it's so far between them, but better that than the alternative if you're over, say 50. OTOH, I do low cadence intervals, but that's not the same as a pass climb. Seems to me they build up rather than tear down, more like a gym workout. rchung is of course correct.

Responding to the OP, my best climbing cadence is 80-83, my best flats cadence is 88. If I'm riding competitively or just having fun, coming into a hill, I like to downshift early, to ~100 cadence and then shift again at ~90 until I get low on gears, then I just drop down to steady state and suffer. I have my best luck at going over the top of short steep hills doing that and not suffering, just blowing my HR up for a little bit.
It’s very similar for me. If I stay seated coming into a steep climb I do the same as you. If the climb is very short and not seriously steep then I might stand and big ring it over the top. But not if it’s going to take longer than a minute. If the climb is steep and long then I inevitably end up seated, suffering at a low cadence in my lowest gear. Pedal torque is relatively high and I would be using a lower gear if I had one available!