View Single Post
Old 04-11-24, 07:44 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 694 Posts
62-year-old here, on-again-off-again cyclist since 1974 or so, and more than half my mileage since 1998 has been on fixed or single-speed bikes. I only owned one track-ish FG, a Bianchi Pista I bought in late '99 and sold maybe a year later. Today I own THREE fixed-gears, a converted '71 Gitane TdF that is my get-on-and-go beater, a converted '73 Raleigh Competition )set up with 35 mm cyclocross tires with a Surly Dingle cog and a White Industries 2-speed freewheel and two chainrings which gets me fixed pavement and gravel road gears on one side of the hub and general noodling and gentle single track freewheel gears on the other), and a full-on custom road fixed-gear I spec'ed for long haul distance rides like centuries and brevets.

The hipster scene never came to this corner of South Carolina, but I have a couple of associates I ride with sometimes who understand the appeal of fixed or ss on the road. It helps that there WAS a serious scene of single-speed mountain bike guys here a few years back - the local twisty, turny, woodlands trails in this part of the Upstate work really well with fully-rigid 26-in tire bikes!

I have never been a competitive rider, but I have led several multi-surface rambles around here, while riding fixed and attempting to revive old-school British cycling club jaunts rather than all-out hammerfests.