Old 04-12-24, 06:48 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by bald1der
I tried to find what I was looking for on a bike locally and on line, even if I spend another $400 upgrading the shock I still wouldn't come close to the cost of the bikes out there.

I think you're right on the chainring. Although I haven't had a chance to ride my normal route yet I can definitely see where the 34 might be too low. My original thought was a 38. I may wind up changing in the end, but for now I'm going to give the 34 a chance. Fortunately I now have all the proper tools so it's just a matter of getting a chainring and making the swap. I intentionally left a couple extra links in the chain thinking that I might go with a larger chainring.
When I changed the drivetrain over on my Scott Sub Cross to a 1x11 setup, I also put a 34 tooth chainring on. On the rails to trails and canal trails, I felt it worked fine. I still did not use the speedier gears on the cassette but was still able to ride 12mph and a bit above. In my opinion on my Sub Cross, I wasn't setting it up to be a quick bike, just something to enjoy the trails with.

Now of course the new bike I just built, my State, I did put a 40 tooth chainring on that with it's 1x11 drivetrain. But am considering changing that out for a 38 tooth, especially once I go riding some trails that have steeper inclines.

** I too enjoy the tinkering. It's fun to make the changes and even to build the bike entirely up and different than what the manufacturer sets their bikes up with.
Likes For travbikeman: