Old 04-13-24, 08:44 AM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
When I changed the drivetrain over on my Scott Sub Cross to a 1x11 setup, I also put a 34 tooth chainring on. On the rails to trails and canal trails, I felt it worked fine. I still did not use the speedier gears on the cassette but was still able to ride 12mph and a bit above. In my opinion on my Sub Cross, I wasn't setting it up to be a quick bike, just something to enjoy the trails with.

Now of course the new bike I just built, my State, I did put a 40 tooth chainring on that with it's 1x11 drivetrain. But am considering changing that out for a 38 tooth, especially once I go riding some trails that have steeper inclines.

** I too enjoy the tinkering. It's fun to make the changes and even to build the bike entirely up and different than what the manufacturer sets their bikes up with.
Yeah I'm glad I decided to try my hand at the drivetrain. It was very satisfying making the test ride and everything worked properly. Doing some research it looks like 36T would be the largest I can go in Shimano. Wolf Tooth makes a 38T if I decide to go that route.
Likes For bald1der: