View Single Post
Old 04-14-24, 05:47 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,347 Times in 629 Posts
Had a pretty decent day in the garage, Dave is staring to look like a bicycle again. Headset rebuilt; fork back in; brake calipers disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and mounted with new shoes; crankset back together and installed with replacement BB compliments of Deal4Fuji ; derailleurs mounted; shifters back on and deraileur cables and housing run. I'm using a Shimano FD I pulled off an 80's Varsity and a Suntour Honor RD that I have no memory of obtaining but it was in the stash. The original steel bars were severely bent in at the end on one side so I used the stem from the same 80's Varsity and a set of only slighty bent aluminum bars from the Volkscycle my Arabesque group came off of. Still have to clean up a set of brake levers, I'm using a set of Schwinn Approved Dia Compes with turkey levers. I also found a set of steel bolt on 27 inch wheels less rusty than Big Birds originals (no pin holes to fill LOL) in the back of the garage and they not only had a usable set of gumwall tires on them but they still had air in them! They had to have been back there a good 10 years or better. The gumwalls look a bit "funky" but they aren't discolored, dried out or cracked and the tread looks fair to middlin' with no signs of cracking.

I'll clean up those wheels and then knock away at what's left. If all goes to plan Dave will be a functioning bicycle by next weekend.