View Single Post
Old 04-16-24, 02:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7366 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,458 Posts
I suspect @ScottCommutes is asking for commiseration or something. I can offer it. I lived in New Jersey for 26 years. I had to drive to work most of that time, unfortunately. I can relate to the sunrise and sunset problems. But I never wished I lived on Long Island. I developed the ability to see with an excess of sun in my eyes.

I live just below 14 St in Manhattan, and I commute by subway on some days and by bike the other days. No car, yahoo! Riding along the Hudson River, most days, I have a strong headwind in the morning. And very often, the wind shifts in the midday, and I have a mild headwind in the evening. I'm thin, and that means wind challenges me more than hefty riders (higher surface area to mass ratio). I asked a big friend of mine how he deals with strong winds on his commute, and he didn't even know what I was talking about. He complains about hills.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: