View Single Post
Old 04-17-24, 01:03 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked 1,762 Times in 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by Catnap
...,. selling vintage bikes online usually involves "educating" boomers. many of the folks I've gotten in contact with on FB have never sold an item online before, are uncomfortable with digital payment platforms, and frightened of scammers without actually knowing how to spot them. first, I go through the process of convincing them that I'm a real person who just wants to buy their bike or part, and not a scammer looking to empty their bank account.
Hmm, is this about buying or selling? In any event. in both cases, I find it's the millennials and other younger generations who need "educating". There seems to be some part of "cash only" that some younger people don't understand. I've literally baffled some with the notion that I do not have CashApp/Venmo or a smart phone. When buying on CL, I've also found that most younger people assume that I'll be able to text or Email them when I reach (or approach) the meeting place. I ALWAYS Email the seller before leaving home, give an ETA, and say "I won't have Email or text while on the road, so I'll call when I arrive (or you can call me)." That notion just seems to be lost on some.

Originally Posted by cudak888
It's amazing how regions differ. "Meet in a location" down here equals this:

I won't do them anymore at all. They're almost guaranteed no-shows.
Here, there's a safety factor in meeting someplace where the general public is present. Selling bikes, I generally prefer a park that's next to a bike path. Selling components or tools or what-not, I usually opt for a coffee joint, office building lobby, or a grocery store with a sit-in dining area. A lot of sellers specify the lobby of the local Police station.