Old 04-19-24, 01:40 AM
Allez1917

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Detachment and vitrectomy seemingly from cycling

41 yo Road cyclist currently recovering from vitrectomy surgery, with a gas bubble injected in my eye (can't fly for months!). The symptom that took me to hospital a couple of weeks back was the sudden appearance of one, tiny black floater in my peripheral vision, the day after a 40-mile ride on gravel and rough, rocky track on my alloy road bike (with 26mm tyres at about 90 psi). Didn't think much of the floater but followed NHS guidance and was sent to local eye hospital where consultant ophthalmologist immediately referred me for emergency surgery for a torn and partially detached retina, complicated by vitreous behind it (meaning no laser surgery was possible). The bike ride was, as you can imagine, very bumpy on my inappropriate bike, with constant vibration (maybe somewhat dampened by good quality carbon fork, handlebar and seatpost) but still would not have imagined this result! Nearly lost the sight in my right eye! The gas is slowly being reabsorbed but right now still only about 50% vision in that eye. Plus soreness from the incisions and stitches in the eyeball. In the interests of transparency, and because the doctors seemed reluctant to agree on the cause: I also do martial arts, but I hadn't sparred in months when the floater appeared, and hadn't taken a heavy blow to the head for at least 1-2 years. But maybe that was a long term contributor, and the ride just finished the tearing - who knows. Certainly I should be too young for it to just be vitreous shrink / change, and prior to this I always had perfect vision. My recommendation, not that any of you would need it, is: ride an appropriate bike and tyres for the terrain!