View Single Post
Old 04-22-24, 05:29 AM
2muchroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
The cassette looks to me like it could clean up easily, just a bit of road grime from normal use. I'd say you can't go far wrong for only €600, bike generally looks in good condition, very clean. Aluminum bikes can be underrated/undervalued.

My opinion: "good deal".
Hey man, thanks for dispelling my suspicions. I recently watched a Youtube Video on casettes and the mechanic said that once the shape of the space between two sprockets starts looking rectangular instead of oval, you'll know that it's been through some serious abuse. I'm kinda seeing that happening on the outer rim, but I might be wrong.

The Shimano M5100 is only around 45€, I was wondering if I should still replace the casette, even if there isn't any rust.

Originally Posted by hidetaka
A lot of the answer is going to depend on your local market. People here keep posting some craigslist finds of $50 Kleins and $500 DuraAce carbon road bikes like that's just standard, on the other hand I've paid ~600 Euro for a basic alloy road bike with an even older 105 and that was quite a good deal (locally).
If that Emonda was for sale near me it would be gone in under a week 100%.
Hello, thank you for the reply!

I don't think the 2018 ALR 5 is still being sold officially, but from what I could find online, the local MSRP in 2023 was around 1.400€.
I've been advised, that the Shimano 105 group is inferior to the Ultegra at that price point. Others have told me that it doesn't really matter, though.
Personally, I couldn't really find any decisive differences after watching some videos. Both seem fine to me, but of course I don't know sh*t lol.

Originally Posted by Jughed
Yes - great bike for a good price.

Ditch the stock wheelset, the only weak point of the bike (heavy/slow/bad bearings), replace with a decent CF set and you have a bike that is in line with $4k CF bikes.

My ALR5 is my workhorse/all purpose bike. 11k+ miles over the past two years and it's been fairly bombproof - aside from the stock wheelset.
Hello, thanks for the reply!

That was my plan exactly. I want to get a CF wheelset and go tubeless (for the first time in my life lol). Something that will go well with the bike's color scheme, which I actually don't love to be honest.

I thought about painting the frame, but apparently that is not recommended. I calculated how much paint and added weight would be applied as a result and I don't really see how that could be a problem.

Which version (year) of the ALR 5 do you have? I'd love some feedback of an actual owner with regards to comfort, seating position, weight and speed.

Thanks again guys!

(I'm trying to find a like button for your super helpful posts)
Likes For 2muchroad: