Old 04-22-24, 06:19 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by 2muchroad
Hey man, thanks for dispelling my suspicions. I recently watched a Youtube Video on casettes and the mechanic said that once the shape of the space between two sprockets starts looking rectangular instead of oval, you'll know that it's been through some serious abuse. I'm kinda seeing that happening on the outer rim, but I might be wrong.

The Shimano M5100 is only around 45€, I was wondering if I should still replace the casette, even if there isn't any rust.

Hello, thank you for the reply!

I don't think the 2018 ALR 5 is still being sold officially, but from what I could find online, the local MSRP in 2023 was around 1.400€.
I've been advised, that the Shimano 105 group is inferior to the Ultegra at that price point. Others have told me that it doesn't really matter, though.
Personally, I couldn't really find any decisive differences after watching some videos. Both seem fine to me, but of course I don't know sh*t lol.

Hello, thanks for the reply!

That was my plan exactly. I want to get a CF wheelset and go tubeless (for the first time in my life lol). Something that will go well with the bike's color scheme, which I actually don't love to be honest.

I thought about painting the frame, but apparently that is not recommended. I calculated how much paint and added weight would be applied as a result and I don't really see how that could be a problem.

Which version (year) of the ALR 5 do you have? I'd love some feedback of an actual owner with regards to comfort, seating position, weight and speed.

Thanks again guys!

(I'm trying to find a like button for your super helpful posts)

I have a 2022 or possibly a 21 leftover.

Ultegra Vs 105 - the only real difference is weight. There is no real difference in performance.

I've not weighed my bike, but stock it was 19.8#'s/9kg. The stock wheelset is 2200 grams+ - I took 800 grams off with a set of Roval C38's. Could have gone even lighter if I wanted to spend more or go with a Chinese set.

Took another 200g off with a decent set of tires (GP5000's). So all in the bike is 18#/8.1KG +/-.

That makes the bike in line performance wise with the Emonda SL6 - which sells for $4200 MSRP.

The frame is smooth and stiff - worlds better than old aluminum frames and better than some CF frames that I've ridden/owned. The position is just slightly more relaxed than a race bike, but only by a few fractions of degrees.

Speed - while that is rider dependent, the bike is plenty fast for what I do. The only bikes that would give a real speed advantage would be full on aero bikes with the rider in an aggressive aero position, or a light weight climbing bike for the long mountains. Even then you are only talking a few min here or there over longer distances.

I've done a 21 mile 6k' mountain pass on the bike - spending 4-6k more would only save a few min overall.
Likes For Jughed: