View Single Post
Old 04-22-24, 09:44 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 738 Posts
Originally Posted by 2muchroad
Yes thank you, I've never been on a road bike before. So when I buy it, I'll do a test drive first. Aha you can tell from the picture that the stem was flipped? I'll have to ask the seller about that, thank you for that tip.
Won't I be able to install disk brakes after? I wanted to go with a CF wheelset and disk brakes.
Stem may have been changed, to me it looks like a 0 degree stem, I could be wrong here but stems are meant to be replaced to adjust fit. A 7 degree stem can change things a lot flipped one way or the other and lengths can vary on a road bike from 70-120mm, longer and shorter are possible but then you should probably size up or down on the bike if you're outside that range since handling is also effected.
That's a no on disc brakes, the frame and fork need to have the mounting points built in for running disc, usually if they don't come with disc they don't come with the ability. For a short time some bikes did come with both options but I think those were rare and I've only ever seen one in the wild. The one I saw used 135mm rear spacing and was quick release front and back, while rim brake bikes like this even now stay at the traditional 130mm from what I've seen, not sure why they haven't gone to 135mm, but then rim brake in 2024 on road bikes has virtually disappeared. Road bikes with disc were quick to ditch quick release for thru axle and 142mm rear spacing, finding a new 135mm disc quick release rear wheel of good quality wouldn't be easy now.
And yes, I think the bike is a good value if it fits.
Likes For Russ Roth: