Old 04-23-24, 08:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked 4,177 Times in 2,797 Posts
I know you are looking towards the lower end of bikes but I would recommend looking at stuff from Lennard Zinn. For instance he offers this bike: https://zinncycles.com/product/khs-b...mountain-bike/ which has some decent components on it designed around taller and bigger riders. He also has a full suspension bike under his own brand: https://zinncycles.com/product/b-i-g...mountain-bike/ as well as loads of great custom stuff.

I think as well going for a bike like say a Fuse will lead you with something maybe a little smaller than you want. Plus the lower end components lead to a bike that will not be very durable and if I am going to be replacing a bunch of parts I might as well look at a good frame and build up from there and if I am doing that I would want a much more stout frame built for a bigger and taller rider which leads me back to someone like Zinn who understands those needs more as a taller rider and super knowledgeable person around bikes.

If I take an already built bike about all that would remain would be headset, derailleur, shifter, crank and maybe bar and stem and while those are important bits I would be pretty much replacing everything else and trying to sell all the other stuff won't net much money as it will be a lot of cheaper OEM parts that are OK but nothing worth much. I would rather build from the ground up with the right components to do what you need to do which is more expensive but leads you to your bike built for you. All of my bikes save for a couple which couldn't be built from the frame up have been built from the frame up with the components I wanted. Not being quite as big and tall as you but have a more ample figure and also being a bit of a bike nerd there are parts I really like or know will work well for me that most manufacturers wouldn't spec or would find cheaper or different solutions for.