Old 04-24-24, 09:10 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 1,053 Posts
I have one bike left with rim brakes which I bought in 2016, my Emonda ALR and I run carbon rims in a 50mm, but I live in Florida, so flat, wind, and rain. If I know rain is a guaranty at some point during the ride, I generally would take one of the disc brake bikes, but these days, I try to avoid riding in the rain as much as possible, that is what my trainer is for. I went with the deeper section wheels to deal with the wind as uber shallow climbing wheels were wasted on me, having no climbing to do here. I personally like the aesthetic look of the deeper wheels on the bike, and since I don't have hills, the brakes over heating is also a non concern. I use the Black Prince pads and if you do get caught in the rain or ride through any deep puddles, just make sure to check your wheels and pads after the ride for excessive dirt and grime so you are not grinding the brake surface off.

I run the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5's with Pirelli P Zero Race TLR tubeless and with these rims, they measure right at 28mm. Had them for a couple of years, and they have been great wheels. I do not get pushed around in the wind or by trucks when they blow by me. They are 19.5 internal, 27 external. With Trek trying to clear out some inventory, they are also on sale, get a set of the Pro 5's or Pro's 3's (30mm I think), for $1200 and they have a lifetime warranty. I know they have the hub body for both Shimano and SRAM, I want to say, you can get a Campy one, but you'd have to inquire.

I personally think if you like the bike, why not get what makes you happy and makes your ride more enjoyable. I put SRAM Force AXS 12 speed with a spider based power meter on it at the beginning of 2023. Was there anything wrong with the 11 speed Ultegra I had on it? Nope, worked like a champ, but I figured as a present to myself for surviving another year, why not and have enjoyed riding that bike even more.

Likes For jaxgtr: