View Single Post
Old 04-26-24, 04:43 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 62 Posts
F is for Falcon - A mid 80s Mystery

I picked this Falcon up today, and as is often the case it was due to it being cheap, interesting, and a little off the beaten path.

From what little research I did before (and after) picking it up, I suspect it's a mid to late 1980s (say 87 or 88), English made Falcon.

The fellow who sold it to me didn't know much about it, having picked it up at a co-op or bike recyclery.

It's small, rough, pretty dirty... but also pretty well equipped. Near full campy grouppo, though it looks like the front wheel was swapped out at some point as the front hub is a Sansin (Sunshine) Gyromaster on a Rigida rim. The rear is a Wolber GTX on campy. I think pretty much everything else is part of a near full Campagnolo Chorus gruppo (to the Campy Cognoscenti here... please correct me if I'm wrong!).

Another interesting thing is that the Reynolds frame & forks are labeled Reynolds 531 Competition, which I haven't seen in the flesh before. It's also kind of fun that it has a black Tange "Falcon" headset.

It's pretty Italian for an English bike... Gipiemme front dropouts (haven't checked the rear yet), Cinelli stem, and even an Iscaselle Italian saddle, which by the way was another clue to the date as it has a date stamp on the underside of Feb. '87.

Anyway... pics are as found... pretty rough and dirty, but interesting nonetheless! Any insights or info appreciated. Thanks.

Likes For CriticalThought: