Old 04-28-24, 08:45 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
I just picked up my new Trek Domane SL 5. I had it weighted at the shop and with Race Face Chester pedals (360 grams per pair) already attached it was 21 pounds 7 ounces. This is with with tubeless tires. Deducting the pedals, it comes out to 20.64 pounds (sorry for mixing pounds and ounces, grams, and decimal pounds).

The Trek site says a size 56 cm 2024 SL 5 weighs 19.69 pounds (tubeless, no pedals). My frame size is 50 cm, so if anything I would expect it to be lighter. I know there is some variation with carbon frames, but is almost a whole pound out of the ordinary?

It is still a nice bike, and I am looking forward to taking my first real ride on it tomorrow. But I also feel that I didn’t get everything that I paid for.
Weights may vary because parts can be swapped for "equal quality" or whatever happens to actually be available. It can be surprising how even a change to a slightly different tires or disc rotors might tack 60g each which moves you a quarter of a lb. The weight does seem a little surprising to me, at 20.64 lbs that's .3lbs heavier than my daughters aluminum Crockett with pedals, saddle bag and bottle cages installed so maybe the scale wasn't quite right. But its also coming with some basic parts like the r3 tires that might have more variation in weight, same for the more basic saddle, bars, stem and seatpost. These aren't high end parts and their weight can fluctuate a good bit especially since that's often where substitutions can happen. The frame/fork is very nice, the groupset is quality, and the weight shouldn't be a huge detractor, a 20lb bike isn't light, but it isn't heavy by any stretch of the imagination, and claimed weights are usually nonsense anyways.
Likes For Russ Roth: