Old 04-29-24, 06:34 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by scared_cyclist
I am terrified of getting into a head on collision with the careless lyrca lance armstrong types riding in tandem, e-bikes, dirtbikes, electric unicycles, and scooters that just rip it along the trail.

Is my fear unrealistic, or can I get hurt colliding with them?
One absolutely can get injured if an unwitting meandering person/dog jets out in front of a fast-moving cyclist along a path.

My solution:
  • Speed control -- Never, ever go faster than I'm capable of braking, when others are present on a path I'm using. Certainly means I'm taking longer along such segments. But it's certainly safer for all involved. Rapid closing rate can equate to severity of injuries.
  • Pass only when safe, and only at a distance where the passing speed is unlikely to contribute to injuries even if that person goes sideways.
  • Bell or other noise-maker -- To warn people I'm approaching, where I'm concerned they're meandering and unaware of their own "lane control" responsibility.

That said, occupied routes aren't IMO a good reason to refuse to use such routes. But it does require people to take responsibility for their contributions while there. Don't have much control over others on such routes, but I absolutely do have full control over my own actions, precautions.
Likes For Clyde1820: