Old 04-30-24, 03:53 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
The bike weight was misrepresented by a big margin. Weight is the biggest determinant of bike speed/performance, and so I'd be upset about this too. When you've ridden a 16 pound road bike, any 20 pound bike is sluggish and boring.

But the elephant in the room is that this $3,000+ supposedly high performance bike from a leading manufacturer weighs 20 pounds. I have a line on a 10-year old local bike that is in excellent condition, and it weighs 3 pounds less and will cost me $300.

But then the older bike comes without the unnecessary ballast of disc brakes, the slow pokey wheels with farm tractor tires found on current endurance/gravel bikes, and (Thank God) full external cable routing so that routine yearly maintenance takes minutes, not hours.

The defeatists and apologists in the forum will squeal that weight doesn't matter and you should take a dump before your ride and fat heavy tires are actually faster blah blah blah, but if you want to travel long distances at high speed, or you want to hang with the fast boys, then weight really really matters. The industry will obviously try and convince you that weight doesn't matter, because heavy is cheap and easy to build.
So I take it you have finished routing internal hoses/cables on those 50 dentist bikes you mentioned a few weeks ago?